This is an outstanding sandwich. I got the recipe while visiting my son in Vancouver.
Steak Sandwiches with Shallot-Thyme Aioli
2 tsp. Whole peppercorns
4 tsp. + 1 tablespoon minced thyme
One thick sirloin
½ cup mayonnaise
1 large shallot minced
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar or fresh lemon juice
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Olive oil for brushing
Freshly baked Italian crusty bread
1 bunch watercress
1. Coarsely grind the peppercorn. Mix with 4 teaspoons of thyme and 2 teaspoons of salt. Pat the steak dry. Press the spice mixture into both sides of the meat and let marinate while you prepare the aioli.
2. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, shallot, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, mustard, remaining one tablespoon of thyme and freshly ground pepper and mix to combine and set aside.
3. In a heavy frying pan add oil add steak and cook to desired doneness. Transfer to a plate and let rest for five minutes.
4. Meanwhile pre-heat the broiler. Brush one side of each bread slice with a little aioli and broil until brown. Place two to three bread slices on plates, spread each with more aioli and top with watercress.
5. Thinly slice the steak on an angle across the grain. Arrange meat on top of watercress and serve immediately