The Arrogant Chef Braised Ribs
6-8 beef ribs
Vegetable or canola oil (enough to generously coat bottom of large frying pan)
2 leeks sliced white parts only
3 large onions chopped
5 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
2 stalks of celery sliced thinly
3 carrots sliced thinly
2 ½ cups of red wine
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leafs
1.Chop up the vegetables for the mirepoix.
2. In a large frying pan add vegetable oil and brown the ribs on all sides. Be sure to brown well.
3. Remove the ribs and set aside. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook until well browned. Add 2 ½ cups red wine and reduce by half.
4. Empty vegetable into a large Dutch oven add some fresh parsley and a couple of sprigs of thyme and place ribs bone side down on top the mixture.
5. Pour in enough beef stock to almost cover the ribs but not quite.
6. Cover with a lid or tin foil and place into a cold oven and turn on the oven to 225F. Cook for about 4 ½ - 5 hours.
7. Remove the ribs set aside and cover with foil.
8. Strain the vegetable through a colander into one pot and then strain the liquid through a fine sieve into a large pot. Bring to a boil to reduce. While it is boiling carefully skim off any fat from the surface.
9. When it has sufficiently reduced add half a cup of wine to your large pan and pour in the reduction. Add a few squirts of Dijon mustard to the pan. Reduce until your liquid starts to form a glaze. If you need to you can add some corn starch mixed with a little water to thicken up your glaze.
10. Once you have a nice glaze return the ribs to the pan and turn in the glaze until nicely coated and warmed through.
11. Put the ribs on top of mashed potatoes or rice and drizzle with the glaze.