Saturday, March 28, 2015

Fish and Chips

Nothing I like better than fish and chips. Here is my fish batter recipe. It has been modified.



Beer Batter for Fish

One egg
Beer (If you want a really thick batter that will puff up like crazy use about a half can of beer. I use almost the whole can and I still get a pretty fluffy crust on the fish)
1/2 cup milk
1 1/3 cup of pastry flour or regular flour (I use regular flour.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 pound of cod or haddock fillets

 In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Mix in beer. Stir in flour mixture. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.


In a deep fryer heat oil to 375°. Coat fish with batter and submerge slowly in hot oil. Fry until golden brown about 4 to 5 minutes. I flip it at the half way point.

No comments: