This recipe for a steak sandwich by Sylvain Girard of The Arrogant Chef recently won a BBQ challenge cook off at the Cornwall Spring Home Show. Although I was only taking pictures, I did get a chance to sample this outstanding steak sandwich. Great job Sylvain!!!
Steak Sandwich with Balsamic Onions, Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Cream
½ cup sour cream
1 ½ oz. sun-dried tomatoes, well drained and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbl finely chopped basil leaves
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 white sweet onions, Vidalia or Spanish
1 cup of sliced Cremini mushrooms
2 tbl spoons of olive oil or as required
2 tbl balsamic vinegar
2 tbl of sherry
1 tbl brown sugar
Triangle shaped focaccia bread(white…I would not use grains)
14 oz. of filet steak, 1 inch thick. Marinate in olive oil overnight. Let stand 40 minutes before cooking.
Quail eggs, 1 per serving
1. Preheat bbq to medium-high direct heat. Mix the sour cream, sund-dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice in a small bowl and season the mixture to taste.
2. Thinly slice the onions and mushrooms and toss with olive oil. Sauté for a few minutes on side burner in a frying pan. Combine balsamic vinegar, sherry and sugar and add to frying pan. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes or liquid is gone. Remove and keep warm.
3. Brush the steaks with some olive oil. Season with season salt and crack pepper. Grill the steaks for 3 minutes per side for medium to medium rare.
4. Lightly brush olive oil on the bread and warm in foil packs on the bbq or oven(you can warm prior to bbq the steak).
5. Remove bread and plate the steak. Lightly butter the buns with sauce. Bread-Sauce-onion/mushrooms-Steak-quail egg. Can Serve open face or as a sandwich.
6. Small amount of butter in a frying pan. Fry quail eggs sunny side up. Do not overcook. Have the sandwich plated and ready. Remove the egg, place on top of the steak and serve immediately. Make sure the egg is just cooked. Do not make the egg over easy. Quail eggs are tough to break, I use a paring knife and slowly remove the top. Empty each egg into a small ramekin or bowl. Pour into frying pan.
7. Most importantly….Enjoy!!